Notaries Public. Commissioners for Oaths
Practice Areas

Lasting Power of Attorney [“LPA”]
Applications under the Mental Capacity Act [“MCA”]

A Lasting Power of Attorney (“LPA”) is a legal instrument to allow another (“your donee”) to act on your behalf in the event that you lose the mental capacity to make your own decisions in the future. This allows you, as a donor, to make a considered choice as to who your donee should be.

There are two LPA forms available from the website of the Office of the Public Guardian (OPG). Form 1 is a simplified form that may be filled in by yourself, while Form 2 will require drafting by lawyers. However, all forms require a lawyer's witnessing before it may be submitted to the OPG. ​

The powers given to your donee under a LPA are only activated when the donor loses mental capacity, and not at the time of execution of the LPA.

A LPA enables the donee to have powers in relation to 2 major aspects on behalf of the donor, namely: a) personal welfare, and b) property and affairs. ​

The requirements for making a LPA are as follows:

  • You must be at least 21 years old
  • You must have the mental capacity to make the LPA
  • You must not be an undischarged bankrupt if you wish to make an LPA for property and affairs matters

A deputy is someone empowered by the Court to make decisions on behalf of a person who lacks mental capacity if that person has not made a Lasting Power of Attorney and has no deputy to act on his behalf. An application may be made to the Court for someone to be appointed deputy under the Mental Capacity Act (MCA). Please refer to our guide to MCA Applications to find out more.

Persons Appointed by the Court: Deputies

A Mental Capacity Act (“MCA”) application is required when no Lasting Power of Attorney ("LPA") has been registered, so as to empower one to manage the personal welfare, property and affairs for the principal. These persons who are empowered to act on behalf of the principal are known as “deputies”.

Duties of Deputies

The intended deputies are required to keep statements, vouchers, receipts and other financial records in the administration of the Principal’s property and affairs. These include all bank statements, financial statements from SGX, and evidence of all expenses incurred for the principal in respect of medical bills and receipts of any housing or care arrangements.

Further, the deputies are also jointly required to keep a record of decisions made or actions are made relating to the principal's property and affairs.

Considerations in the Application

In an MCA application, the consent of relevant persons in the principal‘s life would have to be obtained. The Court also considers the benefit to the person to whom the application relates of the proposed order or direction, such as whether a Will was executed in favour of the deputy that is intending to be appointed.

Who Are “Relevant Persons”?

“Relevant persons” as defined by the Family Justice Rules Practice Directions 2015 refers to :- Persons who have an involvement in the principal‘s life and/or who are likely to have an interest in the application. Often, the principal's immediate family members, by virtue of their relationship to the principal, are likely to have an interest in being notified that an application has been made to the Court concerning the principal.

"Relevant persons" for the purpose of Rule 179 of the Family Justice Rules will therefore often include the following immediate family members:

(a) The principal‘s spouse;
(b) The principal‘s children (aged 21 and above);
(c) The principal‘s parents or guardians; and
(d) The principal‘s brothers and sisters (aged 21 and above).

Why Choose Hoh Law Corporation?

Our firm is one of the pioneers in filing for MCA applications in the Family Justice Courts, and had also previously been invited to discuss changes to the Mental Capacity Act.

We are experienced in handling mental capacity applications and pledge to quickly resolve your application in a comprehensive and trustworthy manner.

If you have made an appointment for a consultation with our lawyers, kindly ensure you bring the following documents with you:

  • 1. NRIC of donor, donee(s) and substitute donee(s) [if any];
  • 2. If a HDB Flat or Property is involved, the title deeds to confirm whether the title is held in joint tenancy or tenancy in common.
Contact Us
Send us an enquiry

Thank you for choosing HOH Law Corporation. For any general enquiries, please fill in the following contact form and we will get back to you as soon as possible. Alternatively, you may reach us at 6553 4800.